Book Club: The Strength Switch by Dr. Lea Waters
Time & Location
About the Event
This Book Club is an asynchronous forum where we'll discuss 'The Strength Switch: How the New Science of Strength-Based Parenting Can Help your Child and Your Teen to Flourish' by Dr. Lea Waters.
As humans, we’re wired to focus on the negative and zoom in on what’s “off.” Dr. Waters proposes a better way for doing things. She says we can short-circuit our negative defaults by making a mental switch that flips our attention from weaknesses to strengths, and from the negative to the positive..
Taking a strengths-based approach to family life gives parents and kids the power to live the good life by drawing on our most abundant inner resources (our strengths!)
What You'll Learn
📚 By participating in this book club, you'll discover...
- - How to focus on what is "right" with your kids (their strengths and talents) more than you think about what is "wrong"
- - Strategies for building your children's resilience, optimism, and intrinsic motivation
- - Ways to build a positive internal foundation to protect your kids against the crippling effects of anxiety and depression
- - Techniques for using strengths and positive emotions to turn around behavioural problems and family conflicts
- - How to deepen your relationships and build positive, lifelong family bonds
How the Book Club Works
🌈 The objective of this club is to help you incorporate valuable concepts from the book into your everyday family life. Through sharing of stories, evidence-based practices, action plans and ideas, each of you will be able to apply and celebrate your learning in your own unique ways, getting support from other like-minded parents along the way.
🌱 We walk through the book at a comfortable pace, discussing 1-2 chapters per week. You can read the chapters in your own time and at a pace that works best for you. In busy weeks when you don't have a chance to read, you can have a look through the detailed chapter summaries we provide, so that you can still join and benefit from the discussion.
👋 For our Book Clubbers who enjoy live meetups, we'll host three Zoom events in different time zones: a Launch Party, a Mid-Point Meetup, and an After-Party. We'll also set up a Buddy Board for people who'd like to arrange more in-person meetups on their own.
✨ We look forward to seeing you in the Club!! ✨
Your purchase includes 8 weeks of access to the Positive Parent Community, which is where we host the Book Club.
*The book is not included in the Book Club fee; please purchase this separately from your preferred bookseller.
- Standard Ticket, Includes VAT€42€420€0